Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Garner practiced extensively in the field of oil and gas law. He is experienced in oil and gas transactional work, including the acquisition and disposition of oil and gas properties located in the Gulf of Mexico, on lands belonging to the State of Louisiana and on private lands. In addition, his experience includes the financing of such oil and gas transactions. Further, he has extensive experience in the negotiation and preparation of oil and gas contracts, including development contracts, participation agreements, operational contracts and production agreements. Mr. Garner also has been involved in a wide variety of energy related litigation matters, including contractual disputes, operational lawsuits and environmental cases.
- Representation of several oil and gas companies in the multimillion dollar purchase or sale of oil and gas properties on the Outer Continental Shelf, on lands belonging to the State of Louisiana and on private lands.
- Representation of both borrower and lender in financing the acquisition of oil and gas properties.
- Representation of major oil companies and independent oil companies in the drafting and negotiation of oil and gas contracts, including development and participation agreements as well as operational and production contracts.
- Representation of oil company clients in arguments before the Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Representation of oil company clients in preparation and filing of pleadings before the United States Supreme Court.
- Representation of clients in both state and Federal Court litigation, particularly in lawsuits involving oil and gas.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- Author of Case Note and Comment for Louisiana Law Review.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Texas State Bar Association
- Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans
- American Association of Petroleum Landmen