Mr. Dreuil practices primarily in the area of oil and gas law and commercial litigation. He represents oil and gas companies in a variety of tort, indemnity and other contract and commercial disputes. He has prosecuted claims on behalf of companies against insurers in property and liability coverage disputes, and has defended oil and gas companies against property damage and contamination (legacy lawsuits) claims. He has extensive experience drafting, negotiating and managing all varieties of onshore and offshore (Gulf of Mexico) contracts, including master service agreements, time charters and related maritime support contracts, and drilling contracts. Mr. Dreuil also has experience with drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, assignments and other business transactional contracts.
He has litigated matters involving key aspects of joint operating agreements, and handles disputes between joint interest partners.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in lawsuits involving contractual indemnity and other general contractual disputes.
- Reviewing and negotiating master service agreements, drilling contracts and other maritime and oilfield service contracts.
- Representation of industry clients (oil and gas associations) in filing amicus briefs relating to pressing issues before the Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in contractual disputes with co-working interest owners.
- Advise clients on Louisiana and Texas oilfield indemnity statutes and the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA).
- Representation of oil and gas and oilfield service companies in filing and enforcing and defending liens and claims arising under the Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act (La. R.S. 9:4881, et seq).
- Representation of oil and gas companies in litigation arising out of personal injuries on production platforms.
- Representation of oil and gas operators in civil penalty proceedings pertaining to noncompliance violations instituted by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM).
- Representation of oil and gas companies in insurance coverage disputes.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in legacy/contamination lawsuits.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- Maritime Liens for Oilfield Services, presented at PLANO Executive Night Seminar on April 11, 2013.
- Offshore Liens, Presented at the LORMAN Emerging Louisiana Legal and Land Issues on the Outer Continental Shelf Seminar, March 18, 2014.
- Drilling Contracts, Legal Risk Allocation in Offshore Drilling Contracts, Presented at EUCI Seminar on Offshore Contracts in New Orleans on May 21, 2014.
- Emile Dreuil and Jeff Goldman, April 2015. "Am I My Lessor's Keeper? Louisiana Second Circuit Places New Duties on Mineral Lessess". The AAPL's Landman Magazine.
- Emile Dreuil. September 26, 2012. “The Expansion of OCSLA to Offshore Indemnity Agreements” ABA Section of Energy Litigation Summer, Vol. 11, No. 3.
- Emile Dreuil and Walter Block. 2003. “The Trade Gap: The Fallacy of Anti-World Trade Sentiment:” Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 45, 2003, at 269-81.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans
- Louisiana Independent Oil and Gas Association
- Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen
- South Central Industrial Association
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 2006
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, 2006
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana, 2006
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2006