Mr. Marino is a shareholder in the firm and is involved in a wide range of energy related transactions. He concentrates his practice generally in mineral title examination, the acquisition and divestiture of mineral properties, regulatory matters relating to onshore leases and offshore leases, including state waters and federal waters on the Outer Continental Shelf, and energy related financing transactions involving the negotiation and performance of exploration, development, operating and joint venture agreements.
Mr. Marino has represented numerous energy producing companies before the State of Louisiana, Office of Mineral Resources, State Mineral and Energy Board, Office of Conservation and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, (formerly known as the Minerals Management Service) in the Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and Alaska OCS Regions, Department of the Interior, Interior Board of Land Appeals, and other regulatory agencies concerning a variety of matters such as plugging and abandonment liability, bonding, oil spill financial responsibility, royalty valuation, royalty relief, incidents of non-compliance, unitization, unit agreements and commingling agreements, gas sales, processing and marketing agreements, production handling agreements, onshore and offshore facilities use agreements, rights-of-way, pipelines, servitudes, surface and subsurface agreements. He was formerly with the law firm of Gordon, Arata, McCollam & Duplantis.
- Representation of an international oil and gas company in connection with its acquisition of over 200 Outer Continental Shelf and deepwater leases located in the Gulf of Mexico in a $2 billion deal.
- Numerous representations of small and large independent oil and gas companies in acquisitions of oil and gas leases located in the Pacific Outer Continental Shelf, which became the model for the transition from large independent oil and gas companies to small companies.
- Successful negotiations between small and large independent companies and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Pacific OCS Region, to ensure abandonment and decommissioning liabilities for leases and rights-of-way were addressed and that proper funding to secure such liabilities were established and maintained.
- Advice to and consultation with small and large independents and with federal and state agencies for the decommissioning of platforms for rigs to reef programs.
- Advice to industry with regard to, and supporter of, the Offshore Program of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, including serving on the then Minerals Management Service Gulf of Mexico Advisory Focus Group.
- Representation of large and small independents in connection with royalty valuation issues before the Office of Natural Resources Revenue, the Department of the Interior.
- Representation of large independent oil and gas companies for royalty reduction and royalty relief issues with the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management.
- Representation of small independent oil and gas companies before the Interior Board of Land Appeals concerning suspension of operations (SOO's), suspension of production (SOP's), incidents of non-compliance (INC's), and assessments of civil penalties.
- Representation of small independent oil and gas companies in matters before the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management in both the Alaska Pacific and Gulf of Mexico Regions.
- Negotiations on behalf of large independent oil and gas company regarding re-injection and cogeneration facilities in the Pacific OCS Region.
- Representation of lenders in connection with major mezzanine financing of oil and gas properties.
- Representation of operators and non-operators in disputes relating to joint operations, including responsibilities and standards of performance, area-of-mutual interest, consent to assign, and preferential right to purchase and option rights.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in the drafting and negotiation of drilling contracts, farmout and farmin agreements, operating agreements, participation agreements, joint ventures, production handling agreements, platform use agreements, and related contracts.
- Representation of oil and gas companies before the Louisiana State Mineral Board, Office of Mineral Resources, Department of Natural Resources, Office of Conservation, and related state agencies.
- Representation of oil and gas companies relating to oil spill financial responsibility compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Representation of parties in the preparation of condominium documents, including declaration of condominium regimes, articles of incorporation, by-laws and related organizational documents, and the creation of condominium associations.
- Representation of parties in commercial real estate transactions, including sales and leasing.
- Representation of parties in tax sales and adjudications of real property, including confirmations and quieting title.
- Representation of parties before governmental agencies and bodies concerning zoning and land use matters.
- Representation of parties in the formation of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Representation of succession representatives and heirs for the orderly distribution of estate assets.
Selected Publications and Speeches
Mr. Marino has made numerous speeches and presentations on a wide variety of energy related topics to the oil, gas and energy industry and to landmen and lawyers representing energy companies. He has made presentations to such organizations as the American Association of Professional Landmen, the Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans, the Houston Association of Professional Landmen, the West Coast Landmen's Institute, the Society of Petroleum Evaluation Engineers, New Orleans, Louisiana and Santa Monica, California Chapters, and Gulf States Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, Inc.
Some of the selected speeches and presentations are as follows:
- AAPL Professional Ethics, Presented at the 2015 West Coast Landmen's Institute, September 23, 2015.
- BP Oil Spill Update and Reflections: 2015, Professional Development Seminar 2015, September 16, 2015.
- Potential Bankruptcies in the Oil and Gas Industry: Analyzing Distress in this Important Sector of the American Economy, American Bar Association, June 12, 2015.
- Things to Think About as Prices Remain Low: Legal, Contracts and Litigation, PLANO Executive Night Seminar, April 16, 2015.
- Oil & Gas Licensing, The OCS System, Presented at the LSU Law Center, March 12, 2015.
- Bonding and Other Financial Securities Updates in the Gulf of Mexico, Presented to the Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans, January 21, 2015.
- Well Stimulation Techniques on the OCS, Presented at the 2014 West Coast Landmen's Institute, October 22, 2014.
- Supplemental Bonding and Decommissioning Requirements, Presented at the LORMAN Emerging Louisiana Legal and Land Issues on the Outer Continental Shelf Seminar, March 18, 2014.
- BOEMRE's SEMS II: Key Compliance Points for the New Rules, ABA Section of Energy Litigation Summer, Vol. 11, No. 3, September 26, 2012.
- Curing Title Deficiencies and Defects: from the Handshake to Closing, Presented at the 2008 AAPL Gulf Coast Land Institute on October 16, 2008.
- OCS Title and Current MMS Regulatory Matters, Presented at the 55th Mineral Law Institute on March 27, 2008.
- MMS Update 2007, Presented at the AAPL Gulf Coast Land Institute on October 11, 2007.
- Ethics for the Oil and Gas Lawyer and Landman in Confecting the Deal, Presented for PLANO on April 19, 2007.
- Professionalism for the Landman and Mineral Lawyer, Presented at PLANO's 2006 Fall Seminar on November 30, 2006.
- MMS Update, Presented at the 24th Annual West Coast Landmen's Institute on November 9, 2006.
- OCS Update, Presented at the 23rd Annual West Coast Landman's Institute on September 21- 23, 2005.
- Deal Formation Issues and Principles of Negotiations in the Oil and Gas Industry, Presented through Lorman Educational Services on March 15, 2004.
- MMS UPDATE: Bonding, Royalty Valuations and Other Monetary Issues, Presented at the 21st Annual West Coast Landman's Institute on October 10, 2003.
- Law of Servitudes: Legal Issues and Practical Considerations in Louisiana, Presented through Lorman Education Services on November 12, 2002.
- Current Status of Outer Continental Shelf Issues, Presented at the 20th Annual West Coast Landmen's Institute on November 7, 2002.
- Ethics in a Dysfunctional Environment, Presented at the PLANO Fall Seminar on October 15, 2002.
- Ethics: A Landman's Dilemma in Confecting the Deal, Presented at a seminar hosted by PLANO on December 10, 2001.
- A Unique Approach to Surface Restoration and Implied Obligations, Article prepared for the November, 2001 PLANO Newsletter.
- Legislative Update on Rigs-to-Reefs, Presented at the 18th Annual West Coast Landman's Institute on September 27-29, 2000.
- Landman and Mineral Lawyer, Presented at PLANO's Fall Seminar on December 8, 2000.
- Becoming Fluent in Plain English: Understanding the Proposed Outer Continental Shelf Lease Form, Presented at the 30th Annual HAPL Workshop on April 14, 1999.
- Ethics: It's a Good Thing! A Comparative Review of the AAPL Code of Ethics and Legal Ethics Under the Rules of Professional Conduct, Presented at the PLANO 7th Annual Seminar in January, 1996.
- The Royalty Fairness Act and Other Simple Measures to Reduce Federal Royalty Liability; Oh, What a Relief It Is?, Presented at the West Coast Landmen's 15th Annual Seminar on May 7-8, 1997.
- Offshore Drilling and Service Contracts, an in-house presentation to Murphy Exploration & Production Co. on May 5, 1997.
- Minerals Management Service Update, Presented at PLANO Seminar in July, 1994.
- 2000 Apex Education Award, presented by the American Association of Professional Landmen.
- 2005 Corporate Leadership Award, presented by the Minerals Management Service, Pacific OCS-Region.
- 2005 Education Award, presented by the American Association of Professional Landmen.
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association (Board Member 2005-2006)
- Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans; Board Member 1999-2000
- Houston Producers' Forum
- North Houston Association of Professional Landmen